Friday, August 10, 2018

Magenta Super Saturday with Pam



Hi everyone!  I’m so excited to be joining the “Super Saturday” group on the Magenta Blog.  I love the new Magenta collection that will be coming out very soon.  The card I’m sharing with you today features the “3 Poinsettias – 3 Flowers” (03.218.Q) and the medium “Thank You” (07.979.G) stamp that was designed by calligrapher Sally Penley.  Both of these stamps are from the new collection.  This beautiful poinsettia stamp is so versatile that I’m sure I’ll be using it all year!


I made the background using a variation of a technique that I saw on a Jennifer McGuire video. I used Distress Ink mini pads to cover a large acrylic block with splotches of color.  I sprayed it very liberally with water, then put the block, ink side down on the smooth side of a piece of Tim Holtz watercolor paper.  I pressed the block to move the ink around over the whole piece of paper, then put something heavy on top of the block and let it sit for a few minutes for the colors to sink into the paper.   When I lifted the block off the paper, I used a paper towel to wick up any of the ink drops I didn't want on the finished piece.  This technique is so much fun (and fast!) that I usually make several pieces to have on hand when I need them. 

This example uses Dried Marigold, Carved Pumpkin and Festive Berries Distress Inks.


Finished panel after the ink has dried.


You can vary the color pattern, and intensity of color on the background by the colors you choose, the way you apply the ink (randomly or in a pattern), the amount of water you use and amount of time you leave the block sitting on the paper.  To see more on this technique, check out the video on Jennifer McGuire’s website here.


For today's card I used a piece of background paper from my stash that had been created with Broken China, Tumbled Glass and Wilted Violet Distress Inks on Tim Holtz Watercolor paper.  I used the MISTI stamp positioner to stamp the Poinsettia image with VersaFine Smokey Gray ink.  When the ink was dry I colored in the flowers with Luminance colored pencils (Manganese Violet, Violet, White, Orange, White.)  I put the watercolor panel back in the stamp positioner in the same place.  Then I restamped the poinsettia image plus the “Thank you” sentiment with VersaMark ink, then embossed with Judikins Gold Detail embossing powder.

You can also see my card on the Magenta blog here.  While you are there check out all the amazing art work the Magenta Design Team has created with all the beautiful new stamps from their upcoming collection.

Magenta Products Used:  
02.318.Q 3 Poinsettias - 3 Flowers 

07.979.G Thank you - Medium 
Other Products Used:
Distress Inks (Wilted Violet, Broken China, Tumbled Glass)
Versamark Ink
VersaFine Ink (Smokey Gray)
Tim Holtz Watercolor Paper
Judikins Detail Gold Embossing Powder
Luminance Colored Pencils (Manganese Violet, Violet, White, Orange)

Thanks for visiting my blog today.    I hope you will come back soon.






1 comment:

  1. Really beautiful! I'm trying this! I love all of the backgrounds you created and the gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. Please visit again soon.
Pam