Thursday, September 10, 2020

An Experiment with Acrylic Pouring

Hi everyone. Thanks for visiting my blog today. My grandson, Shane, and I have started a YouTube channel called "Lady and the Stamp". Shane is the director and video editor and we've been having a lot of fun creating these videos. 
This is a close-up of the canvas created in the video.  This was poured onto an 8"x8" canvas.
I have always wanted to try acrylic pouring. You can find hundreds and hundreds of videos about this on YouTube. Honestly, I've spent way too much time watching the videos but one day I stumbled across a video where they did acrylic pouring on rocks. I was fascinated and decided I had to try it. Many people hide painted rocks in our local parks so I thought this might be a good use for the finished products. 


It's a fairly simple process and I bought many of my supplies at my local Dollar Store. We picked up rocks in a variety of shapes and sizes. My local Michaels was also had a sale on painting canvas. You need acrylic paint, plastic mixing cups, stir sticks, aluminum foil, a cookie sheet or something similar to place your items on when pouring, pouring medium and silicone. You will probably want to wear rubber gloves, also. 

I soaked the rocks overnight in water with a tiny amount of bleach to kill any mold or moss, then rinsed them thoroughly and let them dry for another full day. I painted them with white acrylic paint but this is optional. I found that I liked the way the colors popped on the rocks with a white coating but it was fun to try on unpainted rocks, also. (I’m going to experiment with black rocks next.) 
Both of these rocks were poured from the same cup of paint.  The colors vary by how the paint mixes as it is poured.

You can see the ball of foil that acts as a stand for the rock while the paint dries.

The pouring medium is used to thin the paint without changing the color. I purchased Floetrol from Amazon; however, you can also mix white liquid glue (such as Elmer’s) in a ratio of about 70% glue and 30% water (preferably distilled water), and then use this mixture to thin your paint. When you mix your paints and pouring medium, you want to obtain the consistency of buttermilk – if it’s too thick, it will be hard to pour. 

As an option, I also used silicone drops, such as the type you use for a treadmill, in one of my paints. I also ordered this from Amazon, but if you have a silicone spray like WD-40 (the silicone variety), you can also spray that into your paint mixture. This is totally optional, but it does add an interesting texture to the finished piece. 
This was the first attempt - poured onto a 4" x 4" canvas.

My granddaughter picked the colors for my second attempt. This was poured onto an 8" x 8" canvas.

This was so much fun to do so I hope you will consider giving it a try. If you liked our video, I hope you will subscribe to our channel and give us a thumbs up. Thanks for visiting and watching our video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. Please visit again soon.
Pam