Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Birch Press Prism Die, Part One


I’ve been using the new Birch Press Prism die a lot and decided to try using it with washi tape.  This card was a lot of fun – it did take a little bit longer than most cards but if you like piecing die cut pieces into a frame I think you will enjoy this card. 
 To create this card, I used the Birch Press Prism Triangle Collage (#57185) and Memory Box Happy Birthday Upright Script (99684.)  I picked several spools of washi tape in different widths and textures. 

To begin I applied strips of washi tape across a piece of white cardstock, cut 5 ½” x 4 ¼”.  I used the die as a guide and applied the washi tape in a pattern slightly larger than the die.  

I used a bone bolder to really press the tape onto the paper then ran it through my die cutter.   This die cut very well and most of the pieces remained in place.

For the card front, I did another die cut on a piece of white linen paper, cut to 4 1/8” x 5 ¼” and removed all the little die cut pieces, leaving just the “frame”.  On the back I adhered a piece of double stick tape, cut slightly smaller than the card front. 
To begin piecing the washi tape die cut pieces into the frame, I used my Elizabeth Craft Fine Point tweezers to place the random pieces that didn’t stay in the frame during the die cutting process.  I also punched out a couple of larger washi tape pieces and placed them on the card front.  This helps align the two pieces together.  Next, I put the washi tape piece on top of the card front and aligned them, so the pieces matched. 

Working from right to left, I used the tip of my craft knife to gently push each of the die cut pieces onto the adhesive on the card front.  Periodically I lifted the washi tape piece to make sure the pieces were lined up correctly.  

I followed this process until all the die cut pieces had been moved to the card front.  When I finished I discovered that I had missed a couple of pieces so used my tweezers to place those pieces on the card front. 
I adhered the card front to a 5 ½” x 4 ¼” piece of Sol Silk Beauty Pink cardstock and then to the front of an A2 card.  To finish, I applied strips of metallic washi tape to another piece of cardstock.  I die cut this with the Memory Box Happy Birthday die and adhered it to the front of the card.  I added a few gems for a bit more sparkle.
Putting this card together was a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle, and I really liked the results.  Be sure to keep the empty washi tape “frame” because I’ll have another post soon to show you a card I made with that left-over piece.  
Thanks for visiting my blog today!

2 comments:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. Please visit again soon.
Pam